CCTV shows ‘postcode rivalry’ murder gang with sword and knives

CCTV footage has emerged showing a gang brandishing weapons including a machete and a sword on the night they murdered a teenager in a "postcode rivalry" attack.

The Metropolitan Police released the video after two men and three teenagers were convicted of setting upon 19-year-old Kamali Gabbidon-Lynck "like a pack of animals" in Wood Green, north London, in February.

It also comes after a spate of knife deaths in the capital, with three men killed in just over 12 hours on Thursday and Friday.

Image: Kamali Gabbidon-Lynck was murdered in Wood Green, north London, in February

The killers in the Wood Green murder – Tyrell Graham, 18, of St Helens Place, Leyton, and Sheareem Cookhorn, 21, of Park Lane, Tottenham – were found guilty in court on Friday. They were also found guilty of the attempted murder of a second man, aged 20, and Cookhorn was found guilty of possession of a firearm with intent.

Three 17-year-olds, who have not been named, were also convicted of Mr Gabbidon-Lynck's murder and grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to the second victim.


Releasing details of the case, police said the jury had been told the group "had been calculated in their plan to cause serious injury".

On the night of the murder, the group of seven – the five defendants and two unknown individuals – set off on bikes towards Wood Green "to search for suspected rival gang members", the Met Police said.

More from London

"Such was their violent intent, that between the five defendants they carried at least five knives (including a machete and a small sword), a handgun and a shotgun.

"On seeing the victims, the defendants immediately dropped their bicycles and produced knives and the firearm."

Sheareem Cookhorn (l) and Tyrell Graham were convicted of murder
Image: Sheareem Cookhorn (left) and Tyrell Graham have been convicted of murder

Cookhorn fired shots at the victims but missed, police said. However, one bullet travelled through the open door of a nearby shop, narrowly missing customers and staff.

"The victims' group prepared to fight but changed their minds and decided to flee when Cookhorn fired his handgun," police said.

"The defendants began to chase after the victims, brandishing their weapons in plain sight and with very little consideration for the members of the public who were out socially."

The group surrounded the 20-year-old man and "viciously attacked him, stabbing him eight times and shooting him once in the buttock".

However, their attack was interrupted by Mr Gabbidon-Lynck, who drove towards the group after managing to get into his parked car.

The defendants started to strike the vehicle's windows and windscreen until Mr Gabbidon-Lynck decided to leave his car, police said.

He was followed into a hairdresser's, where he was attacked and suffered fatal stab injuries.

Read More – Source