Two weeks of terror: The horrific crimes of Britain’s most wanted man

Serial rapist Joseph McCann, who embarked on an horrific campaign of kidnap and sex attacks, has been found guilty by a jury at the Old Bailey.

For a brief period last spring, the 34-year-old, from Harrow in north west London, became Britain's most wanted man as he travelled the country abducting his victims at knifepoint.

The youngest of his 11 victims was an 11-year-old boy. The oldest was a 71-year-old woman.

In total, the jury found McCann guilty of 37 charges of rape, sexual assault, kidnap and false imprisonment, making up what Scotland Yard has described as "some of the most shocking offending they've ever seen".

Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin told Sky News: "He's one of the most dangerous individuals that we've ever seen and come across. He was clearly highly motivated in his offending."


It can now be reported that McCann, who was out on licence from prison at the time of his attacks, should have been referred to the Parole Board before he was freed in February this year.

Joseph McCann was discovered in a tree, brought down and arrested

Instead, he was dealt with as a "determinate sentence" prisoner, meaning he was automatically released 18 months into his sentence.

More from UK

It is understood one Probation Service worker has been demoted as a result of a review of four staff who had direct contact with McCann.

Jo Farrar, the chief executive of HM Prisons and Probation Service, has "apologised unreservedly" for failings which led to the prisoner's release two months before he launched his spree of sex attacks.

Joseph McCann chose not to give evidence in his defence
Image: Joseph McCann chose not to give evidence in his defence

She said: "These were appalling crimes and our thoughts and sympathies are with the victims and their families.

"We recognise that there were failings and we apologise unreservedly for our part in this. We are committed to doing everything we possibly can to learn from this terrible case.

"We have taken strong and immediate action against those involved in the management of McCann's case and are taking significant steps to improve intelligence sharing between agencies.

"At the same time, we are developing new mandatory training on recall for all probation officers and we have updated guidance on the threshold for recalling an offender to prison."

Four men and two women have been arrested on suspicion of assisting McCann and released under investigation.

McCann first struck in the early hours of 21 April, as his victim left the Pryzm nightclub in the centre of Watford.

Police release dash cam footage of chase of suspected serial rapist
Police chase serial rapist in stolen car

The 21-year-old woman had decided to walk home alone and had been on the phone to a friend for reassurance, as she made her way along a virtually deserted main road.

At 3.59am that call ended abruptly.

In a subsequent videotaped statement to police, the woman said: "I felt the knife and he put his arm round me so I couldn't move. The knife is at my neck. I felt it, it was sharp.

"I dropped my bag first. I still held on to my phone. He told me to shut up and walk to the car."

CCTV of alleged serial rapist Joseph McCann
Police released CCTV of the serial rapist

The young woman was forced into McCann's Ford Mondeo and driven back to her home, where McCann raped her in her own bed.

The Old Bailey was shown security camera footage from a filling station in Watford.

Around five hours after the abduction, McCann's car is seen driving onto the station forecourt.

The victim could be seen sitting in the passenger seat, as he got out, put on a baseball cap and headed to the garage shop to buy condoms.

The woman told the court she was too terrified to move, that she feared McCann, still armed with a knife, would chase after her and catch her.

He set her free a short time later and the police were called.

Joseph McCann's abandoned car Pic: Joanne Moss
Image: McCann abandoned the car he was driving and fled on foot. Pic: Joanne Moss

In the more than four days between that first attack and the point where McCann kidnapped his second victim, police failed to pick him up.

Hertfordshire Police told Sky News they did take the allegations from the first victim seriously and that they were making urgent and determined efforts to track him down.

DCI Goodwin told Sky News he used different names, vehicles and disguises, including wigs, to avoid capture during his campaign of "unthinkable and depraved behaviour".

McCann's second victim had been walking home around half past midnight on 25 April, in the east London borough of Walthamstow.

The 25-year-old woman had just left a local Tube station, when she was grabbed at knife point and forced into a vehicle.

By now, McCann was driving a silver Ford S Max people carrier.

Joseph McCann was wanted over attacks across the country
Image: Joseph McCann was wanted over attacks across the country

The woman was subjected to the most horrific ordeal of rape and sexual assault spanning more than 12 hours. She told police she lost count of the number of times she was assaulted.

At one point, McCann pulled up outside a local school and taunted his victim, telling her he wanted her to rape one of the school children.

By 12.15 that same afternoon, the silver people carrier was in Edgware, northwest London.

Two sisters were walking home along a residential street, when the vehicle pulled up, McCann jumped out and made a grab for both sisters.

The youngest sister managed to run home and call police.

Her 21-year-old sister was bundled into the back of the vehicle, alongside the woman abducted the night before.

Both were driven around by McCann, who raped and sexually assaulted them for a further two hours.

He drove them to Watford, where security camera video showed him trying to book into a local B&B.

Joseph McCann pictured at a hotel in Watford as he left two victims outside in a vehicle
Image: Joseph McCann pictured at a hotel in Watford as he left two victims outside in a vehicle

The footage showed McCann holding the reception door open and constantly glancing out to check his two victims were still in the vehicle.

When he returned, the 25-year-old woman managed to summon up the strength and the courage to grab a bottle of vodka from inside the vehicle and smash it over McCann's head.

Both women were able to run off and get help. McCann fled the scene.

McCann went dark for 10 days, before striking again in the northwest of England.

He befriended a woman at a nightclub in Haslingden, north of Manchester.

Later, he returned with the woman to her home, where he tied her to a bed.

Joseph McCann denies all the charges
Image: Police called Joseph McCann a 'depraved and extremely dangerous individual'

In a neighbouRead More – Source