Whale tusk used by hero who tackled London Bridge terrorist

One of the heroes who tackled the London Bridge terrorist was armed with a whale tusk, while another fought him off with a fire extinguisher.

Several civilians bravely intervened to drag attacker Usman Khan to the ground near Fishermongers' Hall on Friday, working together to restrain him before he was shot dead by police.

Details are starting to emerge about those who chased and disarmed the 28-year-old, who was a convicted terrorist previously jailed over a plot to bomb the London Stock Exchange.

Image: Witnesses said the long pointed tooth was seized from the wall of Fishmongers' Hall
This picture of the alleged attacker appears to show the hoax explosive device
Moment attacker pinned down and shot

One of the most eye-catching features of the public response to the rampage, which left two people dead and another three injured, was the tusk from a narwhale.

Witnesses said the long pointed tooth was seized from the wall of Fishmongers' Hall by a man who ran after Khan and used it to fend him off while two others charged in.


Amy Coop said on Twitter: "A guy who was with us at Fishmongers' Hall took a five-foot narwhal tusk from the wall and went out to confront the attacker."

Counter terrorism expert's fears for approach to terrorists imprisonment
Terrorist punishment like 'Russian roulette with public'

She added: "We were trying to help victims inside but that man's a hero."

More from London Bridge Attack 2019

Khan is thought to have begun his attack inside the hall before rushing outside.

The man with the tusk has been identified by The Times as a chef from Poland called Lukasz, who the newspaper reports worked in the kitchen at the venue.

Members of the public run from the scene
Image: Members of the public were told to run from the scene
Members of the public are held behind a police cordon near London Bridge train station
Image: People were held behind a police cordon near London Bridge train station

Another of those who helped drag Khan to the ground before armed police arrived on the scene was 24-year-old tour company manager Thomas Gray.

Mr Gray said he tried to force Khan to release one of the knives he was carrying by stamping on his wrist, but both blades appeared to be taped to his hands.

He added: "I stamped on his left wrist while someone else smacked his hand on the ground and then kicked one of the knives away. I went to pick up the knife when I heard a cop say 'he has got a bomb'."

Mr Gray said he hid behind a school bus "full of kids" before hearing "two or three" shots fired by police, which hit the attacker before he "hit the deck".

Despite his brave intervention, Mr Gray has insisted that he is not a hero, saying: "I did what any Londoner would do and tried to put a stop to it."

Sky's home affairs correspondent Mark White was with a tactical response team at the time it was called to the incident in London Bridge.
Embedded with the police during terror attack

Tour guide Stevie Hurst, 32, also ran towards Khan on London Bridge, having been driving over the river at the time.

He told The Telegraph how he kicked Khan in the head after he was forced to the ground.

"We wanted to make sure we got the knife away from him as quickly as possible," he said.

"We wanted to kick him. Everyone was shouting. The knife flew away. The moment they rolled him over off his chest, they saw he had a bomb vest.

"The police arrived so quickly. They told us 'get the f*** back', they had rifles. They put three rounds into him."

Read More – Source