Woman blinded in one eye after pressure cooker whistle exploded into her skull
A woman has been left blind in one eye after the whistle of a pressure cooker shot out and lodged into her skull.
Munda Birsi, 57, from Khunti district, Jharkhand, India, had been cooking dal, and had left the pressure cooker on the gas stove as she went to cut hay in her back garden on September 4.
An hour later, she rushed back into the kitchen and was pulling the cooker off the lit stove, when the steam made the whistle burst out and pierce her skull next to her eye.
Although surgeons couldnt see the bullet-sized bit of metal from the outside, a CT scan revealed it was deeply jammed near her brain.
She was rushed to the Bhagwan Mahavir Medica Super Speciality Hospital in Jharkhand, India, where doctors were able to save her life, but not her left eye.
Munda had to undergo a complex operation led by Dr Ashish Joy Soren.