Firm fined after mother crushed to death by faulty garage door
An electrical firm has been fined after a mother was dragged to her death in the faulty shutter door of an underground car park.
BS Graves (Electrical) Limited pleaded guilty to a health and safety offence after Heidi Chalkley died in Cambridge in August 2016.
The 40-year-old social worker was heading for a night out when she grabbed hold of the rising door after asking her friend: "Have you ever held on to it as it goes up?", an inquest heard last year.
Ms Chalkley panicked as her hands became trapped and she was pulled into the machinery and crushed, the hearing was told.
She died at the scene and a post-mortem examination gave her cause of death as multiple injuries, noting fractures to her ribs, spine, arms and jawbone.
No alcohol or drugs were recorded in her system and an inquest jury reportedly concluded she died through misadventure.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said Ms Chalkley had pressed the button to open the roller-shutter door, held on to the grille as it rose and became trapped as it wound around the roller, fatally crushing her.
More from Cambridgeshire
An investigation by the watchdog found sensors at the top of the door – which should have stopped it – were incorrectly wired and no longer functioned as the door opened.
BS Graves (Electrical) Limited had carried out work on the roller shutter door at Ruth Bagnall Court in Cambridge since 2012, the HSE said.
The Cambridgeshire-based firm Read More – Source