What: We looked at Comscore data of the most-visited Sports sites in Latin America, and particularly in Mexico, in June 2018.
Why it matters: Latin Americans are very interested in sports; the websites they choose to consume content shed light on what interests them the most. Since the first half of the FIFA World Cup took place in June, there have been interesting developments in the latest rankings.
Ever since the start of the year, we knew the World Cup months would bring interesting results, particularly to Latin American audiences. Sports websites that are informative and comprehensive are always at a clear advantage, but we see interesting changes to the rankings in June. With the start of the soccer tournament, there was an important increase in viewership of sports sites such as FIFA.COM and the Televisa Deportes website, which proves that, as much of the marketing around the World Cup suggested, soccer does unite audiences.
Top 10 Sports Sites in Latin America, June 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop.||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||181,593|
|9||Televisa Deportes (Site)||3,765|
- [Source: comScore]
- From the total amount of Latin Americans with an internet connection, 37% consumed sports content online in June; almost 9% more than the previous month.
- Those users chose a variety of sites to find the content they were looking for, but Brazilian website Globo Esportes stayed on top with 23%, almost 2% more than the previous month.
- MSN Sports was visited by 18.4% of Latin Americans looking for sports content online, about 5% more than in previous rankings.
- UOL Esporte was trying to catch up with 10.5% of visits.
- 9.4% of sports content users visited AS.com sites, a full 2% more than the previous month.
- For the first time in the ranking, FIFA.COM was seen by 8.9% of viewers.
- Marca Sites was seen by 7% of sports content users; very similarly, Desafio Mundial received 6.7% of visits.
- 6.5% of users preferred to find sports content on ESPN.
- Televisa Deportes, the number one Mexican site, was seen by 5.5% of viewers.
- 5.4% of viewers visited DEPOR.COM.
Top 10 Sports Sites in Mexico, June 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop, Mobile.||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||65,915|
|1||Televisa Deportes (Site)||11,804|
- [Source: comScore]
- 52% of Mexicans with an internet connection consumed sports content online in June, almost 20% more than the previous month.
- Televisa Deportes was the real World Cup winner, with 34% of visits.
- Marca Sites was visited by 21% of viewers.
- 17.8% of users visited AS.com to find sports content.
- Medio Tiempo received 15.6% of visits.
- 13.3% of users searched for sports content on ESPN.
- AZTECA DEPORTES enters the ranking with 12.9%.
- 9.7% of sports content users visited Record.
- MSN Sports received 9% of visits.
- For the first time in the ranking, FIFA.COM was seen by 8.6% of users.
- 8.4% of users went to DEPOR.COM.
Janet Grynberg @grynberg_janet
Janet has worked as editor and translator since 2013. After graduating with honors when receiving her Bachelor's Degree in English literature, she began working as a book reviewer for Expansión, the leading business magazine in Mexico. She has also worked as editor of young adult literature for publishing houses like Planeta and Penguin, and she's the author of a book of short stories. She's in the process of getting her MA in English at McGill University. Her interests include arts, good food, and her 8 pets.