British couple killed in Majorca floods named
Two Britons killed when their taxi was swallowed by a raging flash flood on Majorca have been named as Anthony and Delia Green.
The couple, who were in their 70s, are believed to have died along with cab driver Juan Sillero.
Their car was swept away by a torrent of water near the coastal resort of S'Illot.
Authorities said 10 people, including three foreigners, died after torrential rain hit the region around the town of Sant Llorenc, about 40 miles (about 65km) east of the capital, Palma.
The military, assisted by emergency services, were reported to be also searching for a five-year-old boy missing since the disaster.
Up to 9in (23cm) of rainfall fell on the island in a matter of hours on Tuesday evening.
Witnesses told how they had minutes to get to safety as the water levels rose.
Trees were torn down as floodwaters swept many cars and trucks into piles of metal and streets were buried under mounds of mud.
Mr Green, 77, and his wife, 75, were being driven to a hotel in Cala Bona when they were caught in the floodwaters, newspaper Diario de Mallorca reported.
The car was submerged and on its side at the mouth of the torrent in S'Illot on Wednesday.
The couple's bodies were found by military divers still inside, while Mr Sillero was later found lifeless nearby, according to Diario de Mallorca.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are supporting the family of two British people following their deaths in Spain, and will do all we can to assist them at this deeply difficult time.
"Our staff remain in contact with the Spanish authorities who are responsible for responding to the floods, and are ready to assist any other British people who require our help."
Diario de Mallorca reported that the bodies of an 81-year-old man and 83-year-old woman were among the first to be found on Tuesday.
Former municipal mayor Rafel Gili Sastre, 71 was later found dead at his home, the paper said.
Around 80 soldiers and seven vehicles from the military's emergency unit were brought in to join more than 100 rescuers deployed in the area on Wednesday.
World number one tennis star Rafael Nadal, who is from the island, was seen joining in with the clean-up effort.
The player invited locals to take shelter at his tennis academy in nearby Manacor, and then donned wellington boots to join other volunteers.
The 30-year-old said on Twitter: "Sad day in Majorca."
More from Majorca
Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said the flooding had been "devastating" when he toured the area on Wednesday.
He said: "My solidarity and support goes out to the families and friends of victims and all the affected by these tragic floods."