Google’s record $11bn fine over Android market dominance set for Tuesday
Sources have said that technology superpower Google is set to face the music on Tuesday, as European Union antitrust regulators are rumoured to have made a final decision against its Android operating system.
A meeting deciding the companys fate had been scheduled by the European Commission for last Tuesday, however it was moved without warning.
A person familiar with the matter told Reuters the meeting is now set for 17 July, without giving a reason for the change. It is suspected that the meeting was moved to avoid a clash with US President Donald Trumps trip to Brussels.
The record-breaking fine could reach as high as $11bn (£8.2bn), which is 10 per cent of its parent company Alphabets global turnover.
The investigation centres around Androids OS, which is given away for free to phonemakers and used on 80 per cent of the worlds smartphones. Regulators concluded Google illegally forced phone makers to favour its own products like Chrome.
Last year, the commission imposed a record €2.4bn (£2.1bn) fine over Googles comparison shopping feature, though the tech giant still continues to push it as part of its core businesses.
Google has denied any wrongdoing, issuing a statement that the commissions case is flawed as it didnt include Apples iOS as a serious rival to Android, as it cannot be installed on rival firms smartphones.
Googles general counsel Kent Walker said in a statement last month: “The commissions case is based on the idea that Android doesnt compete with Apples iOS. We dont see it that way. We dont think Apple does either. Or phonemakers. Or developers. Or users.”