Family release last picture of girl, 15, who died after taking Duplo pill
The family of a teenage schoolgirl who collapsed after taking drugs have released the final shocking hospital picture taken of her just before she died.
Shakira Pellow, 15, passed away from multiple cardiac arrests and organ failure after shes believed to have taken a blue tablet marked with the name Duplo.
Her family say they want the youngsters death to serve as a warning on the danger of drugs and made the difficult decision to release the image to show the horrifying reality of what could happen.
Shakiras mum Rita Hole and her partner Lee Butcher, said when they took the picture they were convinced she was going to pull through.
Three other 15-year-olds who were part of her group having a party on a field were also taken to hospital and later recovered.
Lee, of Camborne, Cornwall, said: It is the most awful picture and we discussed whether to release it or not.
However, we want to say to other teenagers, if you carry on taking this stuff, this is whats going to happen to you.
Our Shakira is not coming back from this. This was her life and now its gone – it could easily be you.
The family, who described Shakira, as a young, bubbly girl with her whole life ahead of her, said the tragedy happened when Shakira had been out with friends on Friday night, July 6.
They had gone to a park where they are believed to have taken blue tablets marked with the word Duplo, named after the Lego brand.
They spent an anxious night at Shakiras bedside in Royal Cornwall Hospital, and Lee took the photograph believing that she was going to survive.
He added: This is the shocking picture but, honestly, I thought Shakira was going to come through it.
I took the picture thinking I would show it to her later. We never thought it would go any further but now we find ourselves in these sad circumstances.
We want this picture to stand in Shakiras honour and memory as a warning to others. We want it to help others by showing it.
These drugs are not about having fun – its killing people.
We would urge anyone who has these tablets to hand them in to the police and to say where they got them.
Its not grassing and its not turning on people, because they are not selling what they say they are. This is about saving lives.
We just want to raise as much awareness of this as we can. If we can save just one life, it will be worth it.
A fundraising page has also now been set up to help raise money for her funeral.
Shakiras mum said: When she left the house that night Lee said “behave and make sure you are back by 11pm”.
She collapsed at the park and her best friend couldnt talk to her. She told her, “I think Im in trouble”.
She told her friends she thought she was dying. They put her in the recovery position – some of the friends were filming her.
Her friend phoned for an ambulance because no one else would. She went into cardiac arrest and they were working on her in the ambulance.
One of the children came up and knocked on the door. I got down there and she was in the back of an ambulance.
They blue-lighted her to hospital and she had another cardiac arrest – they were working to bring her back for six minutes.
They put her in an induced coma and on life support – they got her stable for a little while. I thought she was going to come back to me but her liver and kidney packed up.
The left side of her heart wasnt working.
Doctors warned Rita that it didnt seem likely Shakira would survive.
She added: They let us in even though there were lots of people rushing around and working – they were amazing.
Police are still investigating the incident.
A 17-year-old boy from Redruth and a 17-year-old boy from Camborne have been arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply drugs and have both been released on bail.